The grievance process exists to provide students a process to resolve disputes between other students, staff, faculty and other members of the community. This process is not intended to apply to complaints or problems related to alleged discrimination and/or harassment that is prohibited by law, nor does it exist to resolve academic disputes.

As it states in the Community Agreement, “As an expression of the University’s urban mission and identity, students are expected to live out Christ’s command to love their neighbors both on and off campus. Civility and love are to be demonstrated in personal interactions, campus and community life, and in service to others.” Therefore, this grievance process provides an opportunity for students to work their differences in a safe and structured manner.


The specific steps of the grievance procedure are listed below:

When a student has a grievance with another member of the community, they may file a report with the Office of Student Success and Engagement: 503.517.1145.

A judicial officer will review the report and determine one of the following actions:

a. The student has a legitimate grievance against a member of our community and the student will be encouraged to attempt a resolution in a one on one meeting. The student bringing the grievance is responsible for providing a written summary of the meeting.

b. The student has a legitimate grievance against a member of the community and the student will be provided an opportunity to resolve the issue with an advisor, another staff or faculty member, or a member of the Caldwell House counseling staff. In such cases, the mediator will meet with each individual or group involved prior to the mediation meeting. The mediator will also provide a written summary of the meeting.

c. The student has not provided enough evidence to demonstrate a valid grievance. If step (a) above fails to provide resolution it may be determined that step (b) is necessary for a healthy resolution.

If step (a) and (b) fail to provide a resolution the case will be referred to the Dean of Students. The Dean of Students will decide on a resolution. If either party is not satisfied with the resolution, they may appeal to ruling per the appeal instructions outlined in the student judicial process.

Connect Today