Serving others is woven into the entire fabric of the WP experience including classes, athletics, residence life and more. You’ll find a number of co-curricular activities specifically devoted to helping you use your unique talents and gifts to make the world better for others, preparing you for a lifetime of meaningful servant-leadership.
What is Service?
Service at Warner Pacific University is an opportunity to meet the tangible needs of our neighbors in the city of Portland and beyond. Our students are encouraged to engage in the University’s Christ-centered identity through utilizing their skills, passions, and education to work toward social justice through consistent direct service in the community.
All service is done through curricular and co-curricular collaborative service opportunities and facilitated reflection specifically focused on these eight categories:
- Ecological Justice
- Economic Equity
- Gender Equity
- Interfaith Relationship
- Racial/Ethnic Equity
- Support for the Elderly & Disabled
- Youth & Child Support
As a commitment to serivce, Warner Pacific University requires every traditional student to complete a set number of service hours per semester as part of their Faith and Service requirements. Commuter students must complete at least 5 service hours each semester, while residential students must complete at least 10 hours.
Warner Pacific’s Service Learning program links students to meaningful local, long-term service opportunities that align with your unique skill set and interests. We believe that civic engagement empowers students to develop and apply their educational skills outside of the classroom in a practical environment, network locally gains real-world experience, and effectively work toward lasting positive social change.
What to expect when you get involved:
- Individualized assistance in connecting you to meaningful service that meets your skills and interests
- Opportunties to connect your future career with service
- Details about local non-profit organizations
- Assistance with completing volunteer applications for local non-profits
- Information about upcoming volunteer training in the Portland area
- Specifics about upcoming service opportunities in the Portland area
- Assistance incorporating service into your resume
- Regular awards and recognition for consistent service
- Service Learning Representative