Are you fascinated with how different substances interact with each other? How atoms can form different compounds? Do you like working in a lab? A minor in Chemistry can support a wide variety of career paths, when coupled with appropriate majors. Having a minor in chemistry can provide many possible job opportunities as well as prepare for graduate or medical school. Forensics, working in chemistry analytical labs, preparation for Pharmacy or Material Science programs or for a career in medical laboratory science are just a few paths a minor in Chemistry can support.
18 credits: 10 credits in residence.
PHS 211 | General Chemistry I | 4 credits
PHS 212 | General Chemistry II | 4 credits
PHS 301 | Organic Chemistry I | 4 credits
Upper division Chemistry course chosen with advisor 6 credits
Students may count CHEM 301 toward both a Biological Science major and the Chemistry minor regardless of number of unique UD credits.
- Utilize appropriate chemical nomenclature.
- Predict the properties of substances based on chemical theory.
- Model chemical reactions using chemical equations.
- Solve chemistry-related problems employing approaches from the relevant area of chemistry.
- Assess hypotheses using applicable chemical methods.
- Interpret scientific data using appropriate analytical techniques.