From the WPC Kitchen – homemade Christmas ornaments
Have fun with the family this Christmas making ornaments for your Tree. Warner Pacific’s Executive Chef, Tim Bartunek, shares this easy Cinnamon Ornament recipe from the Warner Pacific Kitchen:
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup + 2 tbs ground cinnamon (2 – 2.37 oz bottles)*
- A bit of nutmeg and ground cloves
- Christmas cookie cutters
- 1 drinking straw
- Color ribbon
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Mix applesauce with cinnamon and other spices in a small bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed. It is okay to use your hands to mix the cinnamon thoroughly.
- Cut dough into quarters.
- Roll each quarter to 1/3-inch thickness (TIP: place dough between two sheets of plastic wrap).
- Peel off wrap and cut dough into shapes with the cookie cutters.
- Press straw into top of ornament to make hole.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 2 1/2 hours.
- Cool on wire rack for 1 – 2 days or until thoroughly dry. Turn occasionally.
- Insert ribbon into hole; tie into loop; and hang on tree.
- OPTIONAL: decorate with opaque paint markers.
These reusable ornaments will be fragrant for many years. Store in moisture proof container.
These ornaments should not be eaten.
*Chef Tim suggests purchasing the cinnamon in bulk to save packaging waste as well as money.