Campuses Close for Annual Day of Service
Warner Pacific celebrated the 13th Annual Common Day of Service on September 13, 2017.
The Common Day of Service is a chance for the entire College to join together and focus on serving our Portland Metro community. The beautiful day was the perfect event to kick-off a new academic year, as students, staff, and faculty left classrooms and offices to volunteer their time and talents to support 25 local organizations, living in to the College’s motto: “Where faith and scholarship lead to service.”A few of the projects that Warner Pacific participated in are:
- Adult Degree Program (ADP) students donated over 1500 items for hygiene kits which were then assembled by ADP staff to be distributed to children throughout our area
- Removing invasive species of plants from urban green spaces and cultivating safe and welcoming parks for the community
- Continuing to remodel a former strip club; helping the neighborhood reclaim the property for the community’s use
- Working in community gardens to help support families who live at or below the poverty level by providing greater food security in Multnomah County
- Sorting and preparing clothes, household items, toys, books, and food for distribution to people in need in Portland and Vancouver
The Common Day of Service began 13 years ago, when a student asked local schools and organizations how Warner Pacific could help support their efforts in the community. Since then, the event has been embraced by the entire College and has grown into an important part of the Warner Pacific experience.
Organizations served: Mother and Child Education Center; Bridger Elementary School; Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge; Friends of Mt. Tabor; Portland Mercado; The Giving Closet; Free Listening Project; Pioneer School; Catholic Charities; Early Learning center; Gresham Japanese Garden; Living Cully/Habitat for Humanity; Rosewood Initiative; Vibe of Portland at Cafe Au Play; Outgrowing Hunger; Elohe Farm; Audubon Society; Columbia Christian; Spring Mountain Elementary School; SOLVE; Kairos PDX; Birch Community Services; My Father’s House; Ascension Church; Northwest Children’s Outreach.