Serving others is woven into the entire fabric of the WP experience including classes, athletics, residence life and more. You’ll find a number of co-curricular activities specifically devoted to helping you use your unique talents and gifts to make the world better for others, preparing you for a lifetime of meaningful servant-leadership.
What is Service?
Service at Warner Pacific University is an opportunity to meet the tangible needs of our neighbors in the city of Portland and beyond. Our students are encouraged to engage in the University’s Christ-centered identity through utilizing their skills, passions and education to work toward social justice through consistent direct service in the community.
As a commitment to service, Warner Pacific University requires every traditional student to complete a set number of service hours per semester as part of their Faith and Service requirements. Commuter students must complete at least 5 service hours each semester, while residential students must complete at least 10 hours.
Warner Pacific’s Service-Learning program links students to meaningful local, long-term service opportunities that align with your unique skill set and interests. We believe that civic engagement empowers students to develop and apply their educational skills outside of the classroom in a practical environment, network locally gains real-world experience, and effectively work toward lasting positive social change.
What to expect when you get involved:
- Individualized assistance in connecting you to meaningful service that meets your skills and interests
- Opportunities to connect your future career with service
- Details about local non-profit organizations
- Assistance with completing volunteer applications for local non-profits
- Information about upcoming volunteer training in the Portland area
- Specifics about upcoming service opportunities in the Portland area
- Assistance incorporating service into your resume
- Regular awards and recognition for consistent service
Each student is required to personally log all of their completed service hours using the online form. A separate form will need to be completed for each service project. Service projects must be completed during the semester in which they are submitted. Projects done over the summer will not count for credits in the fall.
Service hours must meet the qualifications of Service Learning at Warner Pacific in order to be accepted towards your overall service requirement.
To qualify for your service hour requirement, completed service must:
- Meet a tangible need for our neighbors in or around the city of Portland
- Partner with a non-profit organization
- Directly addresses one of the eight service categories as listed below (click here for full definitions – pdf):
- Ecological Justice
- Economic Justice
- Gender Equity
- Interfaith Relationships
- Racial/Ethnic Equity
- Support for the Elderly & Disabled
- Youth & Child Support
Service hour submissions are due the Friday before the last full week of classes each semester. Students will have one additional week following the deadline to submit service hours with an additional late fee. Once finals week has begun, no more service hour submissions will be accepted.
Please note: It is highly encouraged that you log any completed service hours above and beyond your required amount. In addition, internships may qualify toward your service hour requirement if they adhere to the requirements of what qualifies as “service” at WP.