Get help with your Financial Aid with these helpful FAQs:

What is financial aid?

Financial aid includes loans, grants, scholarships, work-study, tuition remit, employer reimbursement, VA benefits and other sources of funding. View additional funding options at

How do I apply for financial aid?

Federal, state and some forms of University financial aid are accessed as a result of filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The form is found at and is available October 1 of each year for the following academic year (e.g. October 1, 2017 for the 2018-19 academic year). Step by step instructions can be found at

Should I apply for financial aid even if I think I don’t qualify?

Some financial aid is need-based as determined by federal methodology and the FAFSA, but other financial aid options are open to everyone. When in doubt, apply.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Each year you should file the FAFSA when it becomes available, October 1.

What is verification?

Verification is a file review of information provided on the FAFSA. It is a federally mandated process. Please provide the documentation requested by the deadlines set by your financial aid team. Delaying your response will delay your financial aid. Verification may require you to submit items such as documentation of income, household size, number in college, and certain untaxed income, as well as other documents. If you have questions, feel free to contact Student Financial Services at 503.517.1091.

Is there a maximum amount of financial aid I can receive?

Pell Grant eligibility is determined by need as demonstrated by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA. Eligibility will vary per student and with each FAFSA year based on Federal guidelines.
Regarding loans, per year borrowing depends on your grade level and dependency status. There is a maximum amount you can borrow in your lifetime.
The following represents the limit you may borrow in a combined total of subsidized and unsubsidized loans in your lifetime (known as aggregate loan limits):
• Independent undergraduates = $57,500
• Dependent undergraduates = $31,000
• Graduates = $138,500 (This amount includes loans borrowed during undergraduate work.)
The following represents subsidized and unsubsidized loan limits for independent students per grade level:
• Freshman (0-23 credits): up to $3,500 in subsidized and up to $6,000 in unsubsidized loans
• Sophomore (24-47 credits): up to $4,500 in subsidized and up to $6,000 in unsubsidized loans
• Junior (48-85 credits): up to $5,500 in subsidized and up to $7,000 in unsubsidized loans
• Senior (86+ credits): up to $5,500 in subsidized and up to $7,000 in unsubsidized loans
Federal regulations allow the lender and guarantor to withhold approximately 1% in loan origination and default fees at the time of disbursement. This may be added to the loan balance but does not count against the loan limits.
For more information regarding federal loans please visit

Where can I view my award letter?

Students may access award information on MyWP at
Once logged in, go to ‘Financial Information’ on the right-hand column to access your award letter and student account information.

Will my financial aid be enough to cover all of my costs?

Financial aid is meant to serve as assistance in helping you pay for your educational expenses. It is also individualized, so you should contact your Financial Aid Counselor for information regarding costs versus aid eligibility. It is always wise to consider additional resources to pay for school.

What can I do if my financial aid doesn’t cover all of my costs?

Typically, there are out-of-pocket expenses for education in addition to financial aid funding. You can arrange payment plans with PGS Student Accounts and payments can be made online through MyWP at, or in person at the Mt. Tabor campus, or by calling 503.517.1207.
To minimize the potential out-of-pocket costs, you should make sure to utilize all resources available including loans, grants and outside scholarships. You may also view additional scholarship opportunities at

What if I don’t want all of the loans offered to me?

You may request to cancel all or part of your Federal Stafford Loans by two different means:
1) Through the financial aid self-serve portal, which can be accessed at Click on the “My Awards” section from the drop-down menu, then click on “Accept or Decline”. For each loan you would like to change, select the term to be changed and update the amount accordingly, then click “Submit Changes” to send your request to our Financial Aid staff for review.
2) Complete the Request to Cancel or Return Federal Loan Funds form
and return to the Office of Financial Aid via email, fax (503.517.1352), or in-person.

When do I receive my financial aid?

Generally, funds are scheduled to disburse to the school on the third week of the first class in a term. Prior to disbursement, two weeks of attendance must be confirmed. In addition, a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling must be completed at
It may take up to 5 business days for Warner Pacific to receive the funds and post them to student accounts. If you have more than enough funding for the tuition and book costs in a given disbursement period, the school has up to 14 days from the date of disbursement to process any refund to you. For questions or concerns about a disbursement, balance, or expected refund, please contact Student Financial Services at 503.517.1091.

How will my financial aid be impacted if I drop a class or withdraw from my program completely?

Any changes to your schedule have the potential to impact financial aid eligibility, so it is always wise to consult with a Financial Aid Counselor before making changes.
When dropping a class, you are advised to complete a drop form with your Academic Advisor, which may help mitigate the impact to your financial aid. A dropped class is a change in enrollment status and can result in a reduction in student aid eligibility.
If you withdraw from school before the end of your academic year, you may be expected to repay a portion of your financial aid. According to a formula prescribed by federal regulations, any refundable amount used to pay tuition and fees is returned to the appropriate financial aid sources. Contact your Financial Aid Counselor before withdrawing to understand the process better. If you withdraw from school, be sure to complete Exit Counseling by visiting

What is a Leave of Absence (LOA) and why do I need one? (Part One)

A Leave of Absence (LOA) is a planned temporary break in attendance with a specific date of return. It is different than a break in attendance, which does not have a specific date of return. Completing an LOA form prevents any negative impact to your financial aid while you are out of attendance.
Warner Pacific University has a formal LOA policy (see the most recent PGS Bulletin) that allows you to be out of attendance for a specific period of time, but you must meet requirements for an LOA to be approved:
• You must schedule a return date
• You must receive federally mandated LOA counseling from your Financial Aid Counselor prior to the last night of attendance
• You must complete an LOA form
• You must attend the last class session before your leave and return to class as expected after your leave

What is a Leave of Absence (LOA) and why do I need one? (Part Two)

If you take a break in attendance without an approved LOA in place you may have to begin repaying your loans. Federal Stafford Loans have a grace period of six months before you must begin repaying. When you take a break in attendance you will not have to repay your loan until the grace period expires. But, if you use all of your grace period during your time out of attendance, you will have to begin repaying your loan immediately after you graduate. It is possible to request an extension to the grace period, but this must be done before the grace period expires. If your grace period has run out in the middle of your break in attendance, you will have to start making payments on your student loans.

My loans were in repayment; now that I’m back in school, can they go into deferment again?

When you begin classes at Warner Pacific, the school will report you to the Department of Education as an active student and your student loans will automatically enter an “in-school deferment” status. You may also complete an in-school deferment request form, which is available through your lender’s website. NOTE: Deferment cannot begin until you are actually in attendance.
There is often a delay in the time it takes for your student loans to reflect the deferment status, but your loans should reflect the change within 30 days of your start date.

What happens to my financial aid when I leave school or graduate?

Your loans will either enter into the six-month grace period or enter into repayment. This is a student-specific situation so we recommend that you contact your loan servicer, which can be determined by visiting Be sure to also complete Exit Counseling by visiting

Who can I talk to about loan repayment options?

Your best resource for loan repayment information is your loan servicer. If you are not sure who your loan servicer is or how to contact them, visit
You can also learn more about student loan repayment options at

Where can I find the total amount I owe in student loans?

You can view basic information of your total aid amount at Warner Pacific on your FA Self-Serve home page - However, the best place to access that information is by visiting the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at

This is the US Department of Education’s central database for student aid that displays information on loan and/or grant amounts, helping you keep track of loan debt as well as outstanding balances, loan statuses, disbursements, and contact information for your Federal Stafford Direct Loan Servicer(s).