The Worship Arts Leadership degree offers both technical and hands-on training to those students who wish to pursue active music and worship leadership in the local church.
Departmental Learning Outcomes
- Graduates will be able to perform classical (Western art music), jazz, and popular (including contemporary Christian music) repertoire with authority and confidence as soloists, in small ensembles, and large ensembles.
- Graduates will be able to explain the formal, melodic, rhythmic, harmonic, and textural structure of music, to facilitate musicianship in composing, conducting, performing, and intelligent listening.
- Graduates will be able to notate melodies and rhythms accurately from hearing them and describe their patterns and motives.
- Graduates will be able to sing melodies and rhythms accurately at sight.
- Graduates will be able to sight-read music, harmonize melodies, and improvise at the keyboard.
- Graduates will be able to arrange and/or re-orchestrate music idiomatically and suitably for vocal and instrumental ensembles as needed.
- Graduates will be able to place any composition or composer in correct historical and stylistic context.
- Graduates will be able to apply principles of music history to make their performances authentic and germane to the historical period of the work in question.
- Graduates will be able to conduct vocal and instrumental ensembles in rehearsals and performances.
- Graduates will be able to evaluate music and music performances.
- Graduates will be able to teach music to students of varying ages in different settings, depending on their particular call as music educator, music minister, or private music teacher.
- Graduates will be able to write music in various styles and modeling various historical musical periods.
- Music Education graduates will also be able to play and instruct on at least an elementary level in all orchestral instruments and voice.
- Music/Business graduates will be able also to start and manage businesses involving music, such as music instrument and sheet music stores, arts management services, or Internet services.
Part 1: General Education Core
(See Core Studies Requirements)
Part 2: Worship Arts Leadership Major
65 credits: 24 credits in residence, 25 credits upper division (MUS 300+). Required:
|MUS 121A||Theory I||3|
|MUS 121B||Aural Skills I||1|
|MUS 122A||Theory II||3|
|MUS 122B||Aural Skills II||1|
|MUS 221A||Theory III||3|
|MUS 221B||Functional Keyboard Skills II||1|
|MUS 214||Intro to Music Literature||2|
|MUS 330||Conducting Skills||2|
|MUS 341||Music History I||3|
|MUS 342||Music History II||3|
|MUS 101/201/301||Applied Music||1|
|MUS 102/202/302||Applied Music||1|
|MUS 201/203/301/303/401||Applied Music||1|
|MUS 202/204/302/304/402||Applied Music||1|
|MUS 301/303/401/403||Applied Music||1|
|MUS 302/304/402/404||Applied Music||1|
|MUS 114A or MUS 115A||Concert Choir or Wind Ensemble||1-2|
|MUS 114B or MUS 115B||Concert Choir or Wind Ensemble||1-2|
|MUS 114C or MUS 115C||Concert Choir or Wind Ensemble||1-2|
|MUS 114D or MUS 115D||Concert Choir or Wind Ensemble||1-2|
|MUS 314A or MUS 315A||Concert Choir or Wind Ensemble||1-2|
|MUS 314B or MUS 315B||Concert Choir or Wind Ensemble||1-2|
|MUS 314C or MUS 315C||Concert Choir or Wind Ensemble||1-2|
|MUS 314D or MUS 315D||Concert Choir or Wind Ensemble||1-2|
|MUS 240||Introduction to Worship Arts Leadership||2|
|MUS 283||Vocal Techniques||2|
|MUS 383||Resources for the Worship Arts||3|
|MUS 395||Chapel Internship||1|
|MUS 441||History, Theology and Philosophy of Worship||2|
|MUS 442||Planning and Leading Worship||2|
|MUS 495||Internship in Worship Arts Leadership||1|
|CM 200||Ministry by the People||3|
|or CM 201||Ministry I: Introduction to Christian Ministry||3|
|Choose one of the following:|
|DR 315||Chancel Drama||3|
|DR 240||Oral Interpretation||3|
|Choose one of two tracks:|
|Vocal Track: (5 credits)|
|MUS 331||Choral Conducting||2|
|MUS 384||Vocal and Choral Diction||3|
|MUS 421||Scoring and Arranging||3|
|and two credits from the following:|
|MUS 281||Woodwind Techniques||1|
|MUS 282||Percussion Techniques||1|
|MUS 284||Brass Techniques||1|
|MUS 285||String Techniques||1|