The mission of the Otto F. Linn Library is to serve the Warner Pacific College (WPC) community by providing assistance and access to information in a variety of formats in support of the rigorous academic standards and student-centered services outlined in the mission and vision statements of the College.
Reference assistance is available by calling 503.517.1102 and asking for reference assistance. By email, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots.
You need a valid Warner ID to check out materials from the Library. Books are checked out for a 3-week period and may be renewed if no one is waiting for the item. Call the Library at 503.517.1102.
- If books are not returned, there is a $25 non-refundable fee plus a $50 lost-book replacement fee in addition to the fine.
- Fines accrue at the rate of 25 cents per day for books for the first 2 weeks that they are overdue, and after two weeks increase to $1 per day.
- If a lost book is returned, the replacement fee is waived, but not the overdue fines and the $25 fee.
- Any student who owes more than $30 will be blocked from using library materials until the debt is cleared.
Availability of Materials
Students are welcome to use the Library on the main campus, as well as the databases from anywhere. Please call 503.517.1102 for assistance in using the resources. All materials requested will be available at the campus Library. Any materials not returned by the due date are considered overdue. You may receive email notices for overdue items until the material is checked in at the Library.
The library catalog provides access to the materials available in the Library.
If an item is not in the Library, you may request it through the Summit borrowing system.
The Summit search button will appear in the library catalog after an unsuccessful search. Summit allows you to access over 28 million items from libraries all over Oregon and Washington, and delivery usually takes about 3 days.
If Summit doesn’t have what you want, you can also use Interlibrary Loan. Depending on where the material is coming from, delivery could take a week to 10 days.
Links to the periodical indexes are found on the Library’s web page in Databases A to Z.
These are online indexes for popular and scholarly periodicals. Search by subject, keyword, or author. Some articles are available in full text. The article may be printed, downloaded to a disk, or emailed. All bibliographic information needed for a citation is included. Be certain to list the name of the index used.
Searching Tips For EBSCOHost
The following information applies to the databases available through EBSCOHost. Each database may vary slightly in the search options that are available. Please see the Help screens in each database for additional information.
- From the Library webs page, click on Databases. Select EBSCOHost. If you are accessing from off campus, a form will pop up asking you to log in. Type in your WPC network login and password that you obtained from the WPC Information Services Department (your email name and password).
- The first screen that appears is Choose Databases. This lists all the databases available to you and includes a brief description of the subject area. You may search one database or multiple databases simultaneously. Choose the databases most relevant to your topic of research, and then click on the Continue button.
- The next screen that appears is the Advanced Search screen. This provides fields for your search terms and limits that can be placed on the search. Enter single terms in the search fields. Choose the field these terms should be found in – such as All Text, Author, Title, or Subject. Connect the search terms using AND, OR, or NOT.
- AND – the articles retrieved will contain BOTH search terms.
- OR – the articles retrieved will have at least one of the terms, but not necessarily both terms. Use with synonyms
- NOT – use to exclude articles containing unwanted terms.
- Use the limits to restrict your search results to Full Text, Scholarly Journals, or a Date Range, etc.
- After you click on the Search button, a list of articles will be displayed. This list gives the basic citation information, indicates whether WPC subscribes to this periodical, and indicates whether full text is available through the database. The search fields remain at the top of the screen so that you can do additional searches without returning to the full search screen. Click on the Article Title or the Full Text icons to access the article.
- From the individual article display, you can Email, Print, or Save the article.
- The Help file (link in the upper right of the screen) contains instructions and examples of how to cite articles you retrieve from this database.
- The Ask a Librarian feature will allow you to let us know if you are having difficulty or ask us a question about EBSCOHost. Once you fill out the form, it will send us an email with your question and a list of the searches you have tried. We will respond via email with advice on how to revise your search and find what you need.
- Online tutorials are provided by EBSCOHost:
Citation Formats For Articles Retrieved Online
A frequent question asked by those who retrieve online articles is “How do I cite these correctly in my document?” Check out this guide.
Copyright Notice (photocopies)
The copyright law of the United States (17 USC § 108) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Under certain conditions specified by law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of those specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be used “for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses a photocopy or reproduction for, purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
Reciprocal Lending With Area Libraries
- Concordia University (Portland)
- George Fox University (Newberg, Oregon)
- Lewis & Clark College (Portland)
- Linfield College (McMinnville, Oregon)
- Marylhurst University (Marylhurst, Oregon)
- Mount Angel Seminary (St. Benedict, Oregon)
- Northwest Christian University (Eugene, Oregon)
- Pacific University (Forest Grove, Oregon)
- Reed College (Portland)
- University of Portland (Portland)
You may visit any Northwest Association of Private Colleges and Universities (NAPCU) library and check out materials by presenting your WPC identification card (you must have a current semester sticker available at the library). You are subject to the policies of the library you are visiting and must take responsibility for returning the material to that library.