Thinking About Eating in Portland
Faculty members: Derek Moyer & Heidi Owsley
Fall—EN 95-LC5, College Composition
Spring—EN 101-LC5, Advanced Composition
What do you eat? How does it get from there to here-and why does it matter? What do eating well and eating badly really mean?
In this First-Year Learning Community, students will…
- Explore some of the many moral, political, social, economic, environmental, and spiritual implications of eating.
- Look into the issues of access to food and practices of eating that are tied to problems of homelessness, poverty, social and economic structures, and city policies.
- Dive into the complicated and diverse production and distribution systems that support Portlanders’ habits of eating.
- See how cities each city has certain eating practices, and how different parts of the cities eat
- Hear the perspectives of many members of the city who deal with different parts of our food system, who eat differently, who have different ways of understanding food, who challenge us in different ways about what it means to eat well